Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Road Trip!

The ELCA's multi-year and divisive study and statement on sexuality is creeping forward. Everyone I have talked to feels that this discussion has gone on far too long. Everyone in my generation that I have talked to feels that the reason for this stagnancy is that older generations are shackeled to archaic prejudices rooted in ignorance and fear which not only deny the truth of the world, but also the very heart of Christ's message of love for all people. Many in my generation are thus frusterated with the ELCA. To these people, I would like to suggest a means to channel their frusteration.

On March 13, noon, CDT, a draft of the social statement on human sexuality will be released. It will be available at www.elca.org/faithfuljourney and a copy will be mailed to every rostered leader. A series of hearings will then be held around the country. In these hearings, leaders and members of the Church are invited to share observations, concerns, and ask questions about the statement draft. I encourage everyone who is able, and especially the youth, to attend these hearings and let their voices be heard.


For those of us in the PLTS community, it is important to note that nearest hearing that has been scheduled so far will be in Temecula, CA on March 26, 2008, which happens to be the week of our spring break. It is a 7 hour drive from Berkeley, but might I suggest a road trip? Also, perhaps we could encourage our friends in the Sierra Pacific and Oregon Synods to see the value in scheduling their hearings at a time when the future leaders of the Church would be able to attend...

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Hey Ben, my place in Glendale is only about an hour and a half (perhaps 2 hours in rush hour traffic) from Temecula, CA. I have not discussed this with my roommates Bronwyn and Alex, but I believe that we could host you and a few of your associates for a few days if you would like a free place to stay for a few days while you are in Southern California for your meeting. Let me know if we can be of service.

Ben Colahan said...

That's awesome Dan! We probably won't have firm plans until a bit closer to the actual date, but we'll keep you updated.

Thanks.

Elana said...

Not to compete with Dan, but my parents' house is only about 20 minutes from Temecula. And why the heck are they holding the meeting in Temecula, of all places?

Anonymous said...

Ben As a boomer who shares your generation's perspective, Right On! But ignorance and fear, especially when they have been part of the institutionalized culture for so many generations, have deep roots. That's why I applaud your call for as many people as possible to join in a serious but listening-intensive conversation. Clark